New features in 4.0
- New settings/disk file layout for VM portability; see the manual for more information.
- Open Virtualization Format Archive (OVA) support; see the manual for more information.
- VMM: support more than 1.5/2 GB guest RAM on 32-bit hosts
- Language bindings: uniform Java bindings for both local (COM/XPCOM) and remote (SOAP) invocation APIs
- Chipset: added support for the Intel ICH9 chipset with 3 PCI buses, PCI express and Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI)
- Audio: Intel HD Audio is now available as guest hardware, for better support with modern guest operating systems (e.g. 64-bit Windows; bug #2785).
- GUI: redesigned user interface with guest window preview
- GUI: new display mode with downscaled guest display
- Resource control: added support for limiting a VM's CPU time and IO bandwidth.
- Storage: support asynchronous I/O for iSCSI, VMDK, VHD and Parallels images
- Storage: support for resizing VDI and VHD images
- Windows Additions: support for automatically updating the Guest Additions (requires installed Windows Guest Additions 4.0 or later)
- Guest Additions: support for copying files into the guest file system